Things are going well so far! Tomorrow I move into my apartment, wherein i will finally be meeting The Mystery Roommates, but then I will be without internet for a few days until I register as a person at Strathclyde.
I met one of my advisers and his wife - they are very, very nice. I was effectively wined & dined by them, and then proceeded to be invited to EVERYTHING EVER with them. At the very earliest, I already have standing plans to go to a wine tasting in October. In the meantime, I'm setting up meetings with other postgraduates in the department, so my first week will be full of meeting other people, which is exciting. I'll also be attending a department start-of-semester party, so I will hopefully know some people by the end of next week.
We've done a ton of shopping today. There's a lot of really nice shops around here; apparently Glasgow has some of the best shopping outside of London. I have a cell phone now, which makes me about 50% of a real person in the UK. However, the best part of today was taking a 15 minute walk away from our hotel, nearly out of the city, to go a Staples. Carriages! Recognizably American things! It was exciting. Glasgow's a beautiful city with lots to do, full of art and culture, but maybe I miss America a little bit. It's weird - it still kind of feels like I'm just on vacation here.
(However, American TV has nothing on British TV. Presently every channel seems to be playing Friends, but previously we watched a report on a sheep that had broken into someone's house and "gone on a rampage", a very thorough analysis of Zac Efron's beard, and then more things about the Pope, who apparently is here as well.)
No comments:
Post a Comment