Today is my first day of classes! I'm wearing my lucky underwear for the occasion.
I'm excited to get started, because it means I will be busy and meeting people, which is what I want. At present moment, I am only taking a reasearch skills class, which is only for first-year postgraduate students, so we'll all be in the same situation! I still have a lot to do in terms of getting all set up, but at least I will be around other people.
I've been told I'm the first person in something like 10 years to come here specifically to work with this one guy, who basically invented my field - that's totally not a high pressure situation! I keep reminding myself they wouldn't have me here if I couldn't do it. But at the same time, I am letting myself be scared, because it is OK to be scared! I think I would be more worried if I wasn't scared about this. I am a long way from home and I am doing okay. I just have to keep reminding myself of this.
Oh my goodness, you are SO right. It is DEFINITELY okay to be scared!!
ReplyDeleteAnd it's okay to get over it after a little while and have the time of your life too!
You go girl! :)
It is TOTALLY okay to be scared! And it is just as okay to ask for help when you need it! I have to keep reminding myself of these facts. in the meantime I am keeping all my little victories in little containers to open when i am feeling homesick or scared. And, everyone here is so, so nice and helpful, I couldn't ask for anything else. Moving to a new country where I didn't know anyone is hard and in a few weeks I will be laughing about how nervous I was at first!
ReplyDeletei keep forgetting that it is only my second week ever in this country... it has been awesome so far and it can ONLY GET BETTER.