01 March 2010

"the master's tools will never dismantle the master's house" - audre lorde

Hosted by imgur.com
i love social justice!


Sort of. Social justice is something that is very important to me (see also: my academics, and sometimes my own life) but it is so, so complex and you can never truly get to the bottom of it. So to very few people's surprise (presumably? it doesn't surprise me that I attended this) I attended UNH's MLK Leadership Summit over this past weekend. You may remember me talking about the application earlier...

The MLK summit is all about social justice and the intersections of multiple identities and the roles of power & privilege. It was amazing, challenging, frustrating, fascinating and full of feelings (Oh God, so many FEELINGS...As we all know, I am bad at Feelings let alone FEELINGS. this was a lot to handle. Yes, there is a difference). It had some great moments and some not-so-great moments. But, it was an overwhelmingly positive experience.

Sometimes I feel like a Social Justice robot - Social Justice Bot 3000! - saying and thinking the same things over and over. I've been trying to figure out how to describe this whole experience and its impact on me but mostly I can say that I learned so much about myself and how I fit into a world of power and privilege. And that is a supreme understatement - I don't think I've ever learned so much in such a short period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment