18 October 2010

today in adventures in grocery shopping


YOU GUYS LOOK WHAT I FOUND. This really is A Thing here!
--

In the United Kingdom, most people go out for lunch, getting a sandwich/snack/drink combo for about £3, but for whatever reason, the UK is insistent that mayo must go on everything and that vegetables are a sort of rare event. I wholeheartedly disagree with this sentiment, so I bring a vegetable-filled mayo-free sandwich for lunch to my office instead. Since I essentially sit and read all day, I try to go for a walk around lunchtime down The Death Hill, just for a change of scenery. I usually just go to one of the corner grocery stores and pick up a yogurt. (UK food has a reputation for being pretty terrible - this is only 85% true; it took me about three weeks to find a vegetable that wasn't a potato here and I almost cried with happiness the first time I found a bag of spinach in a grocery store - but god damn this country can do yogurt well.) I am pleased to report that in this particular Sainsbury's, spotted dick lives comfortably next to the yogurt. I think this could be a fairly terrible accidental purchase.

2 comments:

  1. eeeeeeeeek!!!

    hahha that is the best thing I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At Regent's, Emma and I had some Spotted Dick for dessert one night at dinner. It was a brick hard cake that didn't taste like anything, and there were raisins in it. As was customary with every dessert at school, there was a vat of hot custard (which didn't taste that bad) to pour over it. So...we had creamy spotted dick and it was hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete