The final draft of my thesis is due on Tuesday. There's a few stylistic things to work on, but they won't take a very long time to fix. So I have been slowly re-introducing myself to Normal Human Society outside of thesis-writing. It's a little bit stressful. Where did all these people come from? and why are they so loud?
But, this is especially exciting because as of yesterday I am officially a grad student! (So, not really part of Normal Human Society.) I received my postgraduate handbook from Strathclyde yesterday. The highlight of this packet is the following:
"Research seminars: Invited speakers and members of the department present papers routinely. We expect you to attend on a regular basis. Even if the topic under discussion does not seem immediately relevant to your on topic, attendance is important. The ability to take part in debate and discussion on topics that may be unfamiliar is an important academic skill. If you wish to pursue an academic career, you will often find yourself teaching outside your area of research expertise."
Translated: You will attend other people's research seminars. It will make you look smart.
Someone told me I have six more days of classes left in my undergrad career. What? How?
No comments:
Post a Comment