24 May 2010

Congratulations, You Did It!

Graduating feels a lot like juggling joy and fear and anxiety and pride and excitement and terror and worry and giddiness and loneliness and regret and satisfaction and frustration and hope and need and want and confusion and love and bafflement and sadness and happiness. It's certainly very comforting to know that this isn't my last graduation, which definitely diffused the shock of I AM DONE WITH COLLEGE FOREVER. In 5-7 years I get to do this again... and it will be more surreal then, I'm sure.


HIGHLIGHTS:
  • UNH running out of chairs for the graduating class, meaning a 58-minute version of Pomp & Circumstance and a lot of people just standing around while hilarity ensued
  • Collopy and I deciding that we probably could have just gone to a store that sold curtains and bought a gold cord... screw you, Honors Convocation, we'll have your 3.2 GPA if you factor in this semester
  • The man who was too short for the microphone stand and as a result looked like the microphones were his eyeballs
  • The lady who was convinced that the world was going to end tomorrow and it is ALL OUR FAULTS so do something about it! Or be terrorists!!! or something to that effect
  • Bert Jacobs, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Optimist, Life is Good Company, throwing frisbees and being awesome (read his commencement speech)
  • Not being told that campus runs on a giant fart (see also: Commencement 2009 & the "CE-Yo" of Stonyfield Yogurt)
  • When COLA was announced, the entire back row of professors in full doctoral robes threw beach balls at us
  • UNH Graduation slowly becomes the UNH Folk Festival
I have a bachelor's degree from the University of New Hampshire in English and Linguistics.
That's strange to say. I have a bachelor's degree. Who let that happen?

1 comment: