19 August 2010

quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock

In case you were curious, the Tour De La Bibliothèques is still ongoing. Here is an illustrated guide to my life as a professional reader.

This is what I am researching, explained with dinosaurs and probably much more helpful than my previous post about it:

(from dinosaur comics by ryan north)



I go to Widener every week or so to get copies of articles to read. I look at an on-line catalog, request items, wait for them to arrive, make photocopies of them, return the items, and repeat. Here I am making sure I have all the pages of one article.

If I want to borrow a book, I have to get Dr. Green to sign it out for me. Then I bring all of this home with me.

During the rest of the week, I come to Wheaton College's library, where I sit in the basement with the history books to read and take notes on my computer. Today I am reading about lying.

Because I am super-nearsighted, I have to wear my glasses when I read. Even though I wear contacts in my daily life, my lenses hypercorrect for distance and then I can't read. As you can imagine, this is counterproductive.

That's it! This is what I do every day instead of having an actual job. There's not much to say about being a research assistant. I don't have to get dressed up or anything; I just sort of sit somewhere, listen to music, and read. It's pretty self-explanatory, but I figured it was time to talk about something other than mail fails.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahah I loveeee that comic, it's hilarious! I secretly love research, and the whole library hunting process. I hope your mail saga is finally starting to sort out. Apparently you need a first grade teacher to address all future correspondence...oh jeez.

    :) Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Research is so fun - it's hard to explain why but it's great! You feel like you're learning The Secrets Of The World or something.

    I hope my mail saga is fixing itself too; still no word from the consulate. (how helpful.) haha, I think I should hire a first grade teacher to write in large block letters for me.

    ReplyDelete