26 April 2010

come on skinny love, just last the year

In incredibly sad news, my dear friend Jacko's mum died on Saturday night after a very long battle with liver disease and kidney failure almost 18 years to the minute after giving birth to her first son. So, I'm taking a brief pause later this week from thesising to head home for the wake/funeral on Thursday.

Jacko is one of the strongest people I have ever met. Her dad died in a car crash when she was 16 and she has had custody of her now-16-year-old sister for the past few months. When I called her on Sunday to see how she's doing, she told me that her whole family was sitting around watching Jerseylicious. She and her aunts were trying to figure out what to do with the remains - though there was speak of cremation, she knew that would end poorly. Someone would accidentally knock her mum over and spill her everywhere, so that was out of the question. Love love love -- These are all fairly normal responses I would expect from her, so if these are the responses I get, I shouldn't be too worried or concerned. Her life really is some sort of black comedy, but she's given up and is just embracing it.

(Jacko joked that she made it through my thesis presentations to make sure I could do it. I did it, Maureen! I'm sorry you won't get to hear how it went.)

Rest in peace, Milly- i miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment